3 Beer-Infused Recipes Made with Non-Alcoholic Brews
Denver-based chef Kendra Anderson shows us how to cook with Athletic Brewing Company's award-winning non-alcoholic craft beers
When it comes to healthy eating, beer-infused anything doesn’t typically make the cut. But with Athletic Brewing Company’s non-alcoholic beer, you can indulge in classic but clean comfort foods with a hoppy kick.
Chef Kendra Anderson shares three clean, beer-infused recipes—Hearty Pork and Poblano Stout Chili, Upside Dawn Jalapeño-Cheddar Cornbread, and Spicy Free Wave Hazy IPA Micheladas. Serve all three recipes together, or enjoy them separately. Each recipes is crafted with a different Athletic Brewing Company non-alcoholic beer.
1. Hearty Pork and Poblano Stout Chili
This recipe combines pork shoulder, plenty of spices and veggies, and Athletic Brewing’s All Out Stout for a flavorful chili with the hearty undertones that come with the perfect stout beer.
Make the chili:
- Place 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes in a large bowl. Drizzle with with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Add 1 tbsp each of smoked paprika, ground cumin, and ground coriander, 2 tsp each of ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, and cayenne pepper and ½ tsp of salt and black pepper. Toss to combine.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until browned. Reduce heat, then pour in a can Athletic Brewing All Out Stout to deglaze the pan. (Use a wooden spoon to stir in the beer and scrape up the pork juices and bits.) Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Dice 2 large poblano peppers, 1 yellow onion, 1 red bell pepper and add to the pot. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until just tender. Add 4 cloves garlic (minced), 1 tbsp each of smoked paprika, ground cumin, and ground coriander, 2 tsp each of ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, and cayenne pepper and ½ tsp of salt and black pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, 1 19-oz can white beans and 1 19-oz can chili beans (drained and rinsed), 1 bay leaf and browned pork to the vegetable mixture. Pour in a second can of Athletic Brewing All Out Stout. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve chili with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and scallions.
2. Upside Dawn Jalapeño-Cheddar Cornbread
With your favorite cornbread mix as a base, this easy recipe is big on flavor that comes from the non-alcoholic golden ale that replaces the milk or other liquids typically added to cornbread mixes.
Make the cornbread:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a small cast iron skillet or 8×8 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 package of cornbread mix, 2 eggs, 1 jalapeño (minced), and 1 can of Athletic Brewing Upside Dawn. Stir to combine, using caution not to over mix (some small lumps in the batter are okay).
- Gently fold in 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese (shredded).
- Transfer mixture to the prepared skillet or baking dish. Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
3. Spicy Free Wave Hazy IPA Micheladas
Similar to a Bloody Mary, this spicy Mexican drink uses beer (or in this case non-alcoholic beer) in place of vodka.
Make the micheladas:
- In a wide shallow bowl, combine the celery salt and smoked sea salt. Use a lime or lemon wedge to coat the rim of two pilsner or pint glasses. Spin the coated rim of each glass into the salt mixture, rotating until the rim is fully coated.
- Pour 6 oz of Bloody Mary mix into each glass. Top each drink with half a can of Athletic Brewing Free Wave Hazy IPA. Stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with celery stick and an assortment of lime and lemon wedges, cornichons, and olives.
Named as TIME’s “100 Most Influential Companies of 2022” as well as Fast Company’s “Brands That Matter” in 2021, Athletic Brewing Company is reimagining beer for the modern, active adult. Their great-tasting craft brews provide a refreshing taste of craft beer, without the alcohol or the hangover. As of 2022, Athletic Brewing is proudly B Corp certified. Learn more about Athletic Brewing and how their non-alcoholic brews are fit for all times.