Depending on the space you have and how far you're going, there are options
Skip the crowds in Yosemite Valley and head for higher ground in Tuolumne Meadows
Cars are designed to keep humans safe, but at what cost to our canine companions?
Lightweight and easy to pull on, whether you're in the gym or at the crag
From the shoes to the harness to the chalk, here are a few tested basics to get you on the rock
Tackle training walls with this primo kit
Third-party sellers are restitching old Petzl harnesses that are no longer safe to use. And Petzl is still seeking answers to a lot of questions.
Climbing is one of those sports that can seem way out of reach for newcomers. But it doesn't have to be.
You need only the essentials, but make sure you know what to look for
Patagonia's Jenna Johnson is on a mission to get women into high-tech gear that can take on real adventures.
Lighten up your kit for faster ascents.
Scaling rock and ice in the winter is serious business. Bring the right stuff.
The latest addition to Metolius's SafeTech line, the Patriot is a lightweight, minimalist harness that weighs in at just 14 oz.
Outside reviews the best gear in the 2012 Summer Buyer's Guide, including the 5.10 Coyote Canvas climbing shoes.
Outside reviews the best gear in the 2012 Winter Buyer's Guide, including the Cassin X-All -Mountain ice ax
Outside reviews the best gear in the 2011 Summer Buyers Guide, including the Arc'teryx S-220 LT Harness.
1. FELT ZW1 BIKE It looks fast, it feels fast, and it is fasteven if you’re not. The oversize carbon-fiber tubes are dialed for female riders; they were never too stiff, never too soft. Shimano’s finest Dura-Ace components, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, gel grips, and Felt’s women’s carbon saddle…
1. MT. BORAH CUSTOM With seven-week turnarounds and minimum orders of just six pieces, Mt. Borah makes customcycling gear easier than ever. Jerseys from $83; mtborahcustom.com 2. VITTORIA OPEN CORSA EVO CX The handmade CX can handle pressures up to 200 psi and is…
1. WILSON AVP REPLICA BALL You might not be able to spike like Misty May-Treanor, but you won’t be able to blame the ball. This soft, composite-leather volleyball is a facsimile of what the pros use. $15; wilson.com Women’s Beach Gear Essentials 2. LOLË…
1. SHELL MontBell's Mistral Parka is a hooded squall shield that vents well enough for sweaty runs and packs down to a softball-size bundle. $110; montbell.com Trail-Running Gear Essentials 2. SUNGLASSES The new VR50 lenses in Oakley's Flak Jackets block blue light to make trail details…
1. HIND P.E. SHORT SLEEVE SHIRT » This T’s grid pattern minimizes points of contact on the skin for increased airflow, which helps keep you cool. And on long runs, the extra-stretchy underarm panels don’t chafe. $38; hind.com womens running…
I'm just starting to get into gym and rock climbing. Could you recommend a pair of all-purpose shoes and a harness that would serve me well in the gym and outside? Jesse Indianapolis, Indiana
You trust Outside Onlines Gear Guy to answer all of your pressing questions about buying, using, and rehabbing gear. Now get his advice on the best buys for your friends and family this holiday season.
Get the most out of long summer days with featherweight performance gear for running, riding, climbing, and hiking
Fall Special: The Indoor Climber's Guide to Gear, Training, and Access