Pineapple Hibiscus Mocktail
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Whole30 co-founder Melissa Hartwig Urban coined the term SWYPO, or, “Sex with your pants on,” to describe making treats with healthy, whole foods. This gingery, tart mocktail is made with dried hibiscus, which is high in antioxidants and vitamin C. Plus, with a coconut water base, you’ll be hydrating during happy hour.
- 2 tsp. Dried hibiscus flower (or 1 hibiscus tea bag)
- 3/4 cup coconut water, or to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- 2 tsp. peeled and chopped ginger
- 2 Tbsp. sparkling water
- Pinch of sea salt
- Lime slices for garnish
1. Bring 1½ cups water to a boil; place hibiscus in a heat-proof bowl. Pour boiling water over top and steep for 10 minutes. Strain, pressing down on hibiscus to squeeze out all the liquid. Let cool slightly. (Alternatively, brew tea as package label directs.)
2. Transfer hibiscus tea to a blender. Add coconut water, pineapple, ginger, and salt. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more coconut water, if desired.
3. Pour into two ice-filled glasses. Top each off with sparkling water. Garnish with lime (if using).
Recipe courtesy of Clean Eating Magazine, Beth Lipton