Nutty Maple Cinnamon Energy Bars
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
When you’re prepping for your next big hike or long ride, the granola bar section in the grocery store can be a daunting place. It can be difficult to decipher which bar will enhance your adventure or bring you to a halt. Tons of bars on the market are loaded with added sugar and artificial ingredients, both of which inhibit the production of Orexin in the brain, a chemical that stimulates the feeling of being awake. And there’s nothing worse than falling asleep over your handlebars!
These nutty maple cinnamon bars are made with whole, energy-boosting ingredients like rolled oats, unsalted almonds, protein powder and sea salt. In lieu of processed sugars, we use maple syrup, a great alternative for simple carbohydrates that athletes can easily convert to glucose during intense activities.
Whip up a batch of these before a long camping trip, a Sunday long run or even a walk with Fido. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge.
Nutty Maple Cinnamon Bars
- 1 cup rolled oats, divided
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted almonds
- 4 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- Olive oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a clean, dry blender, process ½ cup rolled oats into oat flour; blend on medium for about 1 minute. In a large bowl, stir together prepared oat flour, remaining ½ cup rolled oats, almonds, protein powder, cinnamon and salt. Then combine applesauce, vanilla and maple syrup together with dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Cut 6 squares of aluminum foil into 4 x 8-inch pieces. Lightly coat the interior with cooking spray. Spoon out an equal portion of mixture onto each foil square, and roll them into a bar shape. Fold them like tamales, folding the ends over to prevent spillage. You can flatten them into bar shapes if you want to avoid a tube-shaped bar.
4. Bake foil-wrapped bars on baking sheet in preheated oven for 16 to 18 minutes. Do not overcook.