Banana Carrot Mini Muffins
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Mini muffins are perfect for popping into a backpack before an outdoor adventure with kids. Made with flax seeds, carrots, bananas, and topped with pecans, these muffins are tasty and nutritious. Plus, what child would say no to mini muffins?!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup carrots, finely shredded
- ¾ cup mashed bananas
- ½ cup pecans, chopped for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil or line with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, flax seeds, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the cooled melted butter, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well combined. Gently stir in shredded carrot and mashed banana until fully incorporated, but don’t overmix.
4. Pour the batter evenly into the muffin cups (they should fill about three quarters of the way to the top). Sprinkle toasted pecans on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let the muffins cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before serving.
Enjoy muffins while they’re warm or store in an air-tight container or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size 24 mini muffins